Designed to help break infection chains, the Finnish Koronavilkku (“Corona Blinker”) app has been downloaded a million times already. The milestone of one million downloads was reached today (1 September 2020) at around 8am, in less than a day after Koronavilkku had become available for downloading in app stores.
“The number is absolutely fantastic! Such a volume in one day has exceeded all our expectations”, says Director Mika Salminen from Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare.
The app will allow people to participate in preventing the spread of the virus and to protect their own and their loved ones’ health. Through the app, people exposed to the virus can be reached and infection chains can be stopped faster. The more people download Koronavilkku, the more beneficial it will be.
“One million downloads means that one million people have the opportunity to be informed quickly if they have been exposed to a coronavirus infection. The larger the number of users, the faster and more securely we can break the infection chains and keep the epidemic under control. Let’s continue at a world record pace!” says Salminen.
“Our entire team is humbly grateful for the trust and activity of the Finns. Together, we will set an example for the whole world, ”comments Risto Kaikkonen, Director of Health and Wellbeing division at Solita.
You can download Koronavilkku to your phone free of charge from the most popular app stores. The app is now available in Finnish and in Swedish, but an English version will be published later this autumn.
The app works on newer smartphones. It uses the Exposure Notifications interface developed by Apple and Google to create identification codes and information on contacts. This interface is available on all iPhones running iOS 13.5 or higher and Android phones running Android 6.0 or higher (Marshmallow) and Google Play. Consequently, Koronavilkku is not available for older smartphones or Android phones in which Google Play services are not enabled.
Support available for downloading and using Koronavilkku
Support for downloading and using Koronavilkku is available from various sources.
- The Koronavilkku.fi/en website contains information on the app and how to use it. For example, a detailed instructional video can be viewed on the site.
- The national Information on coronavirus telephone service offers advice and technical instructions related to the use of the app at 0295 535 535. The information service is available on weekdays from 8am to 9pm and onSaturdays from 9am to 3pm.
- Support for the use of Koronavilkku is also available via chat and text messages. The chat window is active when customer service providers are available to respond to questions. You can send questions via SMS to 050 902 0163. The SMS service is intended for people who cannot talk on the phone due to impaired hearing or for other reasons.
- In addition, the telephone operators DNA, Elisa and Telia provide support for the implementation of the app. Advice can be requested via the operators’ electronic channels of communication and customer service points.
Health advice is not available via the above-mentioned services. If your question concerns a coronavirus infection, it is advisable to contact health care.
The app has been implemented by the technology company Solita. In addition to THL, the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, Kela and SoteDigi Oy took part in its development.
- Further information and downloading instructions: Koronavilkku.fi/en (in English)
Mika Salminen, Director, Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare THL, +358 29 524 8454, firstname.lastname@example.org
Aleksi Yrttiaho, Director of Information Services Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare THL, +358 29 524 7671, email@example.com
Sami Köykkä, Senior Technology Consultant, Solita, +358 44 7582 395, firstname.lastname@example.org
Risto Kaikkonen, Director, Health and Wellbeing Division, Solita, +358 41 536 8745, email@example.com
To set up interviews, you can also contact our communications director Minna Pinola, +358 40 5166 024, firstname.lastname@example.org
Solita is a fast-growing digital transformation company driven by tech, data and human insight. Our services range from strategic consulting to service design, digital development, data, AI & analytics, and managed cloud services. Founded in 1996, Solita now employs close to 1,000 digital business specialists in Finland, Sweden, Estonia, Germany, Denmark and Belgium to help businesses and societies reinvent themselves with impact that lasts. www.solita.fi/en